Monday, January 07, 2013

Holy Cow, Phish Punks Musics' Elite

This is simply astonishing.  I detest the band Phish, but it appears that they have just punk'd the musical establishment in the oddest way that few could appreciate.  Read Steve Heyward's whole blog post here and watch the video, as Heyward says, if you can bear it.

By accident of family history, as a young boy I spent numerous hours under the tutelage of my older cousins who introduced me to things that I should not have been introduced to at my young age (or perhaps ever), among them Tuborg beer, Hustler magazine, the New York Islanders, the 1979 Plymouth Road Runner, and the very very early music of Genesis.  Thus as a small tyke of 12 years old, my record collection already contained Trick of the Tail, Foxtrot, Wind & Wuthering, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Nursery Cryme, and Selling England by the Pound.  I shudder to think what I'd be worth today had I stuck that money into T-bills instead of a near complete Genesis 1970s discography.  So I can attest that "Watcher of the Skies" is about as obscure and, more importantly, one of the least melodic of early Genesis tunes.  Had they played "Afterglow" or the title track to Trick of the Tail they would have also stumped 99.99% percent of the room with early Genesis but at least would have provided some tolerable entertainment.  As I said, Punk'd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home