Monday, January 28, 2008

If John Edwards Weren't Such a Phony, He'd Rail On Big Dairy

Forget gas prices. What's really pinching the budget of American families? Milk. Gas prices are mercifully cheap compared to milk prices. I can travel up to 20 miles on a gallon of gas with a carload of stuff. A gallon of milk lasts about a day and half in my household. Yesterday I paid $4.41 for a gallon whereas I was paying $3.00 not too long ago. You won't hear the politicians, like World Class Phony John Edwards, caterwaul about this though, because the milk industry is a beast of their own creation. The US dairy industry stands on a statist design and milk prices are controlled thereby eliminating the information content of prices, the fundamental and critical role the prices play in the economy. Supply cannot respond to demand. Forgive me, it can, but when it does, the lead foot of the state stomps on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home