Tuesday, July 13, 2010

God Speed Mr. Steinbrenner

Scott Soshnick has a very nice homage to The Boss here. I had a similar experience at the airport as a young tyke, but it was with Billy Martin (and it was Newark Airport). I don't remember the year so I don't recall whether Billy was on the ins or the outs, up or down, flying high or in the doghouse - all I remember was that he was sitting in a huge limo had the most amesomely garish pair of cowboy boots on, and he leaned out of the limo and said to me "Hey kid, want this baseball?" and handed me an autographed ball. As a kid growing up in these parts in the late 1970s, this was just about the coolest thing that could have happened. The Yanks of the day were the lords of the city and life was a spectacle on and off the field, and it was majestic to bask in it for both young and old, for which we have the The Boss to thank. God speed Mr. Steinbrenner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home