Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Obama's Many Sticks in the Eye Are Not Random

I have been an ever-so-close watcher of our President since the early days of the campaign, and I concluded that were we to elect him, we would have bought ourselves a pig in a poke. It was clear that this guy had no practical experience doing anything useful. I was disturbed by his radical associations, but I chalked it up as typical of the elitist circles he moved in. I never suspected something sinister, I mostly thought he would be another misguided liberal from central casting, mostly all sizzle and no steak. As I watched him since the election I noticed his astounding blunders and started to put the pieces together and I began to feel the rising dread that the blunders are too many, too crazy, and too connected. Warmly greeting Chavez, then selling out the people of Honduras to bring back Zelaya. Insulting Gordon Brown and denying the "special relationship". Now, reneging on our commitments to Poland on the 70th anniversary of the Soviet invasion. Abandoning the freedom-seeking people of Iran, and not mentioning it again as the revolution continues boiling. These aren't blunders, they are sticks in the eye. By virtue of pre-meditation these actions are that much more profoundly disturbing. I questioned whether I was perhaps taking it a bit too far, perhaps coming down with a little Obama Derangement Syndrome. I am convinced, now, that I am not. Others are drawing the same conclusions, in fact, doing so more completely and more eloquently than I. Here's is the nub of it:
"We are living in a dangerous time. It seems highly unlikely that Barack Obama will get his way in domestic affairs. The Democrats may control Congress, but they now fear a rout in 2010, and they are likely to tread with caution from now on. In foreign affairs, however, presidents have a relatively free hand, and this president has ample time to do damage to a country that, there is reason to suspect, he deeply hates. "

In fact, didn't Michelle Obama lay it all out for us to see in plain sight? Yet we refused to see. And now we'll be lucky to escape in four years with the same level of personal liberty as we had going into 2009 and the risk to life and limb is growing greater as the world becomes a more dangerous place as bad actors are emboldened and the average good folks are stiff-armed.

When I was a small boy, I rode a giant roller coaster for the first time. I hated it. It scared the tar out of me. Each steep plunge was awful in its own right, but the worst part of the whole experience was just after the first hill, knowing that I had several more ahead of me and that I couldn't get off. The fear that it ain't over and there's nothing you can do superceded the actual terror of each plunge. That how I feel today, although at least there is something we can do. Join a Tea Party protest. Buy a Ford. Run for office. Vote out an incumbent. Deny the government your tax dollars in any small, petty way that you can. Every little way that we hamstring this government and bring the full force of economic and electoral reality to bear on the Obama administration can only help us preserve our liberties and preserve America as a bulwark against statism across the globe.

UPDATE: Further thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home