Thursday, August 28, 2008

Second Stimulus

A while back I said that gas prices could moderate, maybe not to low levels, but to merely reasonable levels. I just got back from a vacation in which I, the lovely Mrs. Baseball, and our adorable Baseball munchins took the family roadster on a 1,800 mile jaunt to points south and back. Of course, here in New York gas prices stink but as we travelled south the pain at the pump was, well, not really all that painful. We got into $3.40 territory and I think I paid an average of $3.65. Not great, but that won't land you in a Hooverville. So what happens if we hold the line at a reasonable level or even slide a bit lower? The demise of the big truck era might be a bit overblown. In fact, this story hints that I may have been on to something. Most likely, price cutting and sub-$3.50 gas are working in combination. Obviously no one is talking about it, but the impact of this slide in gas prices could be that second stimulus package that our betters in Congress were talking about for a spell. For every month that gas is at $3.50 instead of $4.00 it is roughly equivalent to a $6 billion stimulus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home