Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Reid: When We Dems Get Bought, We STAY Bought

That was quick. We got our answer to the question of Hillary's motivations in less than a few days. Harry Reid says that the Senate won't be taking up the issue of increasing taxes on hedge funds and private equity this year. Actually I was only jesting about being in the dark on this, I think it was fairly obvious that Hill was out to burnish her populist bona fides while happily continuing to gorge on hedge fund/PE campaign cash, which comes at the low low cost of keeping all this higher tax talk just that - talk. Don't get me wrong, I don't support raising taxes on hedge funds - first, because I believe generally in low tax rates on capital income, and second because such a tax policy would be a very large pole up my fiscal posterior (lest you think I am some revolting plutocrat whose greed knows no bounds, let me assure you, Steve Schwarzman I am not) - but it is the rank political cyncism on the part of the Dems that sticks in my craw. All they are doing is waging a PR campaign, dragging hedge funds/PE through the mud and posturing loudly over "unfairness" while they rake in campaign cash from just those industries. How about, for a change, we here politicians say "Raise taxes on rich, mostly liberal, New York finance types? What are you, crazy?" or "Oil companies? Dude, I LOVE oil companies!" That would be a fine day indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home