Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Little Excitement Before I Leave

Well folks, I narrowly escaped the explosion in midtown Manhattan today on my way home from work (and to commence a few days of vacation). When I heard the explosion, it was clear that everyone around me was thinking 'Oh no, Terrorism!' Not me. I was thinking "Oh no, 'NYC's decades-old, crumbling infrastructure!' And I WAS RIGHT!

Don't get me wrong, I don't minimize the threat of radical Islamic terrorism (or even radical Puerto Rican terrorism) that New Yorkers face, but I know that when I ride the subways I am probably as likely to be killed by NYC's physically decrepit infrastructure as I am by some morally decrepit jihadi. Now, last year Dinesh D'Souza got taken to the woodshed by pretty much everyone across the idealogical spectrum for blaming terrorism on liberal politics. Fine. It's is not liberal politics that we can blame for our terrorism risk, but I tell 'ya it certainly is liberal politics that we can blame for the type of risk that we saw today. Decades of being held hostage by and caving into our rapacious public sector unions, like the transit workers, has sapped the resources that we desperately need to maintain and upgrade our public infrastructure. High pay, effectively guaranteed jobs, no accountability, cushy retirement, and free birth control - all undue spending that diverts resources from track upgrades, wiring upgrades and PIPE replacement, all activities that aim to prevent something like what happened today from happening.

Well, that's it. I'm off to the great interior of our great nation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home