Thursday, June 21, 2007

Rudy Economic Team Is a Tax Policy A Team

Naturally, it is revealing to see who is advising politicians and I have looked at Mitt Romney's economic team for any clues as to what his economic policy might look like. Prof. Mankiw has looked at who is advising who on the Democratic side (here and here). Yesterday Rudy officially unveiled his economic policy board and it is solid. Malpass and Boskin represent a top-class one-two punch of academic economist and market economist. Needless to say, Steve Forbes is a highly regarded, policy-focused businessman. He also happens to be a longstanding, tireless advocate of a flat tax. Given this assemblage, one could easily come to the preliminary conclusion that the signature focus of Rudy's economic policy will be tax policy/reform. Will we see something radical or creative coming from Rudy's economic team on the tax front? The prospect is exciting. Just as exciting as, say, the healthcare proposals that could be coming out of the Romney team.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tax Shelter said...

I will keep America on offense in the Terrorist's War on us
I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders, and identify every non-citizen in our nation.
I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.
I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.
I will impose accountability on Washington.
I will lead America towards energy independence.
I will give Americans more control over and access to health care with affordable and portable free-market solutions.
I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.
I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.
I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.
I will expand America's involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.


Too many commitments. Could be a mistake.

It's too bad Hubbard is in the Romney camp. Malpass and Forbes are good, but I wonder if Rudy asked Laffer and was turned down.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Donny Baseball said...

I agree 12 is too big a number, but as the campaign heats up I bet he'll spend 80% of his time talking about 3-4 of the 12.

I don't mind that Hubbard is in the Romney camp. One interesting thing is that Hubbard is tight with Paulson. This is not to say that Paulson would go with Romney or that Paulson would go with anybody or that Paulson's nod would be important even (although I think it is), but it does make for fun speculation among geeks who care about this stuff.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home