Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Big Coup for a 2008 Presidential Hopeful

Mitt Romney has scored a big coup in receruiting Greg Mankiw and Glenn Hubbard as his principal economic advisors to his presidential campaign. Of course, Prof. Mankiw's excellent blog (although declining in quality of late, I guess he's busy) is often referenced here and I have touted Dean Hubbard's healthcare policy book here as well. These economists are great additions to any campaign as they will surely add creativity and broad thinking to policy formulation. With that said, I am quite excited about the prospect of Hubbard's ideas on healthcare reform gaining influence on a major candidate for the Oval Office, yet not too excited at the prospect of Mankiw recruiting a potential denizen of the White House into the Pigou Club.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tax Shelter said...

Hubbard is brilliant. Unfortunately, I think Mankiw is not that smart. In fact, I think Mankiw is very dangerous. The probability of Mankiw making policy mistakes is very high. Romney was not wise in picking Mankiw.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Donny Baseball said...

I do not agree re Mankiw. I just think that Mankiw is just more of the geeky, abstruse academic than Hubbard, who is well grounded in both the world of academic economics and the real world.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home