Monday, June 05, 2006

Revealing Language

A friend was seeking some travel recommendations while visiting Germany for the World Cup. Since I am partial to the Rhine region, I suggested checking out a beautiful little town that I visited years ago, Boppard. Waxing sentimental, I decided to check in on Boppard through the miracle of technology. And this little tidbit caught my eye...

"Two large worldwide well-known firms, BOMAG, producer of road construction machines, and Sebapharma, producer of skin products, safeguard employment in Boppard."

That about sums up the source of the German economy's ills, and Europe's in general. Employment is to be safeguarded. No matter that the essence of employment is a mutually beneficial exchange between two parties, and no matter that the mutually beneficial nature of this exchange is subject to the forces of change that are constant in all aspects of life.

Maybe this is just a bad translation of German where the nuance is lost, but it seems to me this conveys a defensive mentality, a desire to stand against change, which is a difficult way to make it in the world. Sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home