Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Romney's Economic Team

I said to keep a close eye on anything Glenn Hubbard writes/says as he stood a chance of becoming one of the most influential economists in the country. That was if Mitt Romney could pull off a win. That is still a big if, but Hubbard is officially in the on-deck circle. Of course, the media will engage in reductio ad leftydum merely dubbing Hubbard a "former Bush officials" when obviously the reality is much more sophisticated than that. Hubbard is, of course, a highly respected economist, but more importantly he is arguably more of a true free marketer than anyone associated with the Bush administration. He wrote a decidely free-market policy approach book to healthcare and I've heard him say, "I'm a Republican econmist, I wouldn't tell governors what to do." Romney needs to be bold on economic policy to separate himself from pretty much everybody - Obama, Perry and (media reductio as evidence) Bush. Hubbard is as good a choice in that regard as anybody. As for Mankiw, he's fine as far as it goes, but I'm worried that Romney will be susceptible to his misguided "Pigou Club" obsession.

P.S. While have I no hard evidence to cite, I am 100% certain that Hubbard believes demand curves slope downward, which is, ya' know, a good thing to have in an economist. Is it not President Obama?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home