Friday, September 18, 2009

BaucusCare Would Incent Me to Dump My Plan

I've been thinking about the Baucus plan and maybe I'm missing something, but it could work out pretty good for me and many others like me. Let me walk you through this. Because we essentially already have ObamaCare here in New York state, I pay through the nose for my insurance, on the order of $20,000 (actually, I got a notice today that it is going up 20% in 2010). Unless someone in the Baseball household has a major procedure, the cumulative Baseball family healthcare spending comes nowhere near that, so we lose money, but we get the insurance value (which, of course, Anthony Weiner doesn't understand). So, Baucus (he who either lies or doesn't understand basic finance) is going to slap me with a penalty if I don't buy a government-dictated insurance policy that will almost certainly not be to my specific needs. That penalty ranges but let's say I get hit with the maximum that I've read, $3,800. Why would I not dump my insurance, pay the penalty, and have roughly $20,000 left over for out of pockets and "self-insurance"? I'm still pretty young, so aside from getting hit by the proverbial bus, statistically I've got several years of decent health in which to pay Baucus's silly fine and bank some reserves. Assuming I don't spend all the savings on getting drunk, I could bank $250,000 by the time I hit 50. In the meantime, I can take my cash horde to all the doctors that will opt out of BaucusCare, the same way they have opted out of Medicare, and negotiate privately. Medicine will be more expensive and innovation will suffer, which I am not happy about, but at least I won't be competing with and waiting in line behind all the rubes with their BaucusCare plan cards!

UPDATE: Now I read that the fine will max out at $1900. All the better for me to purchase healthcare services with cash on the barrel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home