Monday, August 06, 2007

When Celebrity Endorsements Backfire

I'm not talking Michael Vick here.

Last night I saw a commercial for the new Gillette Fusion Power razor. Now, I am always in the market for a close shave and I'll even pay a little extra seeing as how I want the steel that I drag across my face to be of fairly high quality. But I doubt I'll try the Fusion Power as it is touted by the spokestriumvirate of Tiger Woods, Roger Federer and Thierry Henry. I like all those guys, but it tells me that the Fusion must cost like $27.99 per blade (and last like three shaves) to foot the endorsement bill. I know there is clutter out there in the cutthroat world of celebrity-endorsed consumer products, but what genius at Gillette came up with the idea for an ad that essentially says, "there is so much fat profit in this product that no sum of money is too small for us to pay to convince you to use it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home