Thursday, May 24, 2007

Rudy Is NOT 'Muddled' On Abortion

I swear, I have been formulating this post in my head for the last few days and then I notice this over at Powerline. I hate it when I get beaten to the punch. Anyway...

I find Rudy Giuliani's position on abortion entirely reasonable. Like Rudy, I don't like abortion. Not due to any high degree of religious zeal, not because the Pope or any other clergyman in a pulpit on Sunday told me to dislike it. Not because of the particulars of the medical procedure (although if you've ever seen an ultrasound of a second trimester fetus, well, let's just say it sows alot of doubts). Not for any of the reasons that you commonly hear or read. Simply, I feel my dislike for abortion viscerally as a conseqence of my own life. Biologically, I am the product of a college romance, perhaps even a one-nighter, decades ago. My biological father departed the scene or was never intending on sticking around in the first place. For whatever reason, my biological mother chose to have her baby despite the obvious strain (she came from a modest background and had little in the way of money or a familial support structure). She put me up for adoption and I was adopted into a loving home by deeply committed and wonderful parents. That was more than three decades ago, and I now have a wonderful family of my own. Not a day has passed in those thirty-plus years that I don't thank my lucky stars that my biological mom made her decision and that Mom & Dad Baseball were able to enter my life. Naturally, I feel "pro-life" deep in my bones, but I realize that my life may not be typical and that the outcome of my biological mother's decision was not foreordained and is not repeatable in many cases. While I would encourage it, I can't insist that others follow the same path. I certainly can't insist that others see it my way when I am certain there exist people whose experience might be the antitheses of my life. Surely, they feel quite differently deep in their bones. It is for this reason that I am comfortable being open to the legality of something that I do not like. Not the shoddy legal reasoning of Roe vs. Wade, not the phony and insulting elevation of abortion to a constitutional right, but the deep understanding that my own life, while blessed, could have been remarkably, and tragically, different. This position is not "muddled," as the MSM or the political strategists might label it. It is well-informed and not the least bit frivolous...and I don't think Rudy's is either.

The MSM is good at black vs. white. Not so with grey areas and definitely not so with grey areas that might inhabit the minds of anyone outside of the media-elite society bubbles. They simply can't cope with a political position that falls outside of their crude match-making paradigm between politicians and voter groups. Thus the lazy formulation of "muddled."

2 Comments:

Blogger Tax Shelter said...

great post! although I have no position on abortion because I think both sides have real good points, it seems that it's hard to argue that abortion is not taking away the life of a baby. I mean, how could anyone deny that there is a baby inside a pregnant woman?

Do you buy the argument that the abortion issue is really about the debate on when life begins? It seems to me that the argument is used as an excuse for regulating people's behavior. But it makes sense that the fetus is alive...

11:03 PM  
Blogger Donny Baseball said...

No, I do not buy that the argument is a good faith dispute about when life begins. This is a distraction. The argument is about sexual license versus traditional, Judeo-Christian morality. Every other culture in the world calls abortion what it is...birth control. For some odd reason we don't call it what it is and the most vocal group supporting it (young white women) have numerous other options for birth control, so abortion is not their primary option for birth control. Abortion only remains the birth control option for the poor, uneducated and the irresponsible. So why do women need to advocate so fervently for abortion? It is powerful symbol of sexual license and has been given an imprimatur by the feminist movement as a symbol of sexual freedom and its prohibition a symbol of oppression of women.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home