Thursday, September 21, 2006

My Brush With Infamy

Wow, I had a brush with infamy and I didn't even know it. A couple of years ago I had a lunch (not a business lunch, but a burgers-n-beers get together) with a friend who brought along a colleague from Deutsche Bank. The colleague was a nice guy, a regular cannuck, so we had some beers and talked hockey...and energy. This guy exuded confidence talking about energy and he was impressive, albeit his confidence did border on arrogance (although I wonder how much of my impressions of that day are enhanced by hindsight). Turns out that guy was Brian Hunter, the energy trader who lost $6 billion in a week and has all but brought down Amaranth Advisors, the formerly $9.5 billion hedge fund.

That's it. Just a meaningless anecdote. Although it is odd to know that I had beers with the guy who eventually could be the guy that winds up doing the most damage to our industry. Just as the feds are breathing down our necks and begging Congress to regulate hedge funds, he goes and masterminds the largest hedge fund meltdown in a decade. Nice goin'.

2 Comments:

Blogger TH Williams said...

In the early 80s I went to a job interview at a company in Albuquerque, New Mexico. A few freaky guys were sitting in a smelly, messy office in a downtown building. They needed a computer trainer to go around teaching people their new program. The program was DOS. The freaky people were Bill Gates and associates. I took a different job at JCPenney.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Donny Baseball said...

Life is amazing, ain't it? Thanks for sharing that story.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home