Friday, July 28, 2006

Hey Stupid, Buy THIS!

Granted business school was a tad overrated, but I did learn that consistently insulting your potential customers is not a good marketing strategy. Nobody in Hollywood took the same courses I did, I guess. The latest attempt to sell something to people while simultaneously telling them they are stupid is Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. "The story of a man who could only count to #1." Can't count. He's stupid. I got it. Ricky Bobby. Caricature southern-sounding name. Hick. Got that too. Betcha Rick Bobby is amusingly a religious man too. Bingo. Watch the trailer.

Now, yours truly is not a racing fan so I could be totally wrong, people may love this film but seems a stretch to me. What little I do know is that racing fans take the sport pretty damn seriously, and they might not take kindly to the over the top caricature of their passion for it. Or they might not. Or the comedic brilliance of Will Ferrell will supercede the generally insulting tone. Who knows, but it seems a risky move if not a downright stupid one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home